Sunday, January 21, 2007

Ben Yehuda Street

Wow... yes I know that is not a lot but that is what I think of when I think of Ben Yehuda Street.

It is such a great place... we didn't really get to experience it until Saturday after shabbos. But our first (o.k. my first) experience on Ben Yehuda was Friday afternoon... it was starting to rain and we were walking with the boys and then we heard the shabbos bell and before we knew what had happened (10 minuets) everything was closed the cabs were gone and we could only look in the windows and plan for Saturday night.

On Saturday night when havdalah was over and Ben Yehuda came back to life and we were right in the middle of it. We had dinner at Macaroni (a definite recommendation) and then we walked down Ben Yehuda did a little shopping and just enjoyed the atmosphere.

Our next opportunity to experience Ben Yehuda was on Monday when we spent the day with Andrew B. We found a kosher Burger King, McDonald's and Yoni's favorite Mushikos. We also went to some military supply stores and and some of the tourist shops. We also saw the corner where ATARA 1938 was originally.

We started the days with just Sam, Andrew, Bubbie and me but later during the day Daniel, Yoni and Josh met up with us and we had a chance to eat at Mushikos.

We didn't get back to Ben Yehuda until Wednesday when we went to help the economy...and we did. However the interesting or disturbing thing was this sign that was taped up in one of the shops that we went into. I know there was security at every restaurant and I became accustom to having my bag searched but I never gave anything a second thought until I read this little note. I don't know when it happened and the store had been rebuilt and was doing fine, but still we must always remember that unfortunately there are some people in this world that just want to hurt us.


But it was only a moments pause and then back to what we came to do shop.... and shop we did. It was great and I have a whole list of shops to go back to when Barry and I get back there.

No comments: