Friday, October 06, 2006

The Moon Over My Sukkah

Well that is what it is all about .... sleeping in the sukkah and seeing the moon through the roof (o.k. it is about a little more than that) But we built it (if it's we then why is my body the only one that is hurting). It is up and we will be having shabbos in there tonight with the Havurah.

I had always wanted a sukkah, but it wasn't until we were in this house for a year or two that we finally put one up. On Sept 11, 1999 David and Andy and some of the Brown family came to help us put up our first sukkah.

I was sad that Morgan and Nathan would not be with us for this holiday so I did the next best thing and traced them on the cloth that would become the walls of my sukkah. Actually I traced everyone on the walls of the sukkah. And a few years latter I tried to re-trace them over the first one... but the kids had grown to big.

But I digress... back to the traditions of the sukkah. Since the the number of tool safe people in our house is limited (that story is for another time) It has always been the job of the Sr USY member to get me some tall boys to help assemble the sukkah First it was Celia who found me boys and then it was Sams job and we had a lot of fun over the years. In 2004 we even had Nathan around to help us

But this year it was different, besides Celia and Sam being gone we didn't have a weekend between Yom Kippor and Sukkot. So it was up to us (Barry, Ashleigh, Bubbie, Shomer and Me) to build our sukkah. It was a bit of work because we are not the tallest of sukkah builders and there is only one ladder but by Thursday night it was finished and we are ready to party. I look forward to next year when I hope that we can have the whole family for dinner (o.k. maybe more than one) in our sukkah.

Sam has told me that she helped build the sukkah for Nativ and she also bought her own Etrog and Lulav She will be going on a survival weekend in the Negev on Monday I am looking forward to more pictures when she gets home.

As for Celia and Sean... don't put the date in your calendar in pen... there could be changes ... stay tuned for more information.

No comments: