Sunday, February 24, 2008

Kikiwabaman



so if you were from the Fond du lac Band of lake Superior Chippewa Indians you would know what that means...but for those of you who aren't fluent in Chippewa... it is the equivalent of Shalom.




O.k. so I didn't know what it meant either until our most recent Dinner for 12 Strangers. Where one of our guest students Jared Dunlap greeted me with kikiwabaman (spelling does not count) and brought me a bag of wild rice that is grown on his reservation.

If you are looking at Jared and thinking I know him but his name is not Jared... then you are correct and you probably know his twin brother (who is also at UCLA) who's name I did not catch. But just the fact that he is an identical twin gave him and Barry plenty to talk about.
I was very impressed with Jared and expect to hear great things about him in the future he is a wonderful representative of his tribe.


No comments: